Invisalign can be a great way to improve your smile or straighten your teeth without the look of metal braces. But even though it’s recommended that you remove your Invisalign trays while eating and drinking, they can still accrue film, bacteria, and other detritus over the course of the day. Using cleaning crystals each night can keep your trays clean, fresh, and as invisible as they were intended. If you’ve ever wondered how to use Invisalign cleaning crystals, keep reading.
Why Clean Your Invisalign Trays?
Unlike metal and ceramic braces, which consist of a wire running through brackets affixed on the front of your teeth, Invisalign braces are a tray that fits over the entire surface of your teeth. Because your braces are only working when they’re in your mouth, it’s recommended that you wear your Invisalign braces as much as possible; you should remove them only when you’re eating, drinking, or brushing your teeth.
Because you don’t brush your Invisalign braces the way you would traditional metal braces, you’ll need to clean them another way to remove plaque buildup and other harmful bacteria. That’s where Invisalign cleaning crystals come into play.
How to Use Invisalign Cleaning Crystals
It only takes about 15 minutes each night to clean your Invisalign trays. Once you’ve placed them in the solution, the cleaning crystals do the rest.
- Remove your aligners and rinse them under the tap to remove any saliva or debris.
- Place them into the cleaning container and fill it with warm water until they’re fully immersed.
- Add a packet of Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Shake the container for 15 to 20 seconds or until the crystals are fully dissolved.
- Let the container stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Shake the container for another 15 to 20 seconds.
- Rinse the aligners and reinsert them.
If you have extra trays, you can swap them out daily using this method—just place the freshly-cleaned trays into a container to dry.
For more information on getting Invisalign to improve your smile permanently, how to use Invisalign cleaning crystals and the care and maintenance of your aligner trays, contact Roeder Orthodontics to answer your questions.